Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I Have a Dream




One picture perfect Sunday morning my family and I drove to church as we followed our normal routine: husband drove, I read newspaper, and two children snored in back seat. Upon noticing an article in the newspaper about a college summer program for minorities, I excitedly woke up my soon-to-be high school junior daughter and told her about the program. I was excited that she could have an opportunity to stay on a campus for the summer to get a feel for college life. But alarmingly she asked, “Who is a minority?”

For a few moments silence was an intruder in our car.

And it stood there without budging.

(I even think my son stopped snoring.)

I didn’t know how to respond.

And with my daughter’s next questions, it was clear she wanted a response, “Am I a minority?

AM I?”

In those tense moments, I realized that Dr. King’s words I had been holding onto since I was a child, had helped me shape my daughter’s life: “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” My daughter is proud of her African American and Native American heritage; however, it does not define who she is nor does it define who she will become. Because of Dr. King, my daughter is not a minority. She is a member of the human race, and she defines herself by the content of her character.

How has Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. influenced your life? This is the story in you. Share it.


Domonique

http://www.archives.gov/press/exhibits/dream-speech.pdf  

No comments:

Post a Comment