Friday, January 31, 2014

Making Your Photographs Come Alive: Pulling Your Ideas Together



Pulling your ideas together creates a short story that brings the photograph to life. My disjointed phrases and sentences about what I could see, hear, taste, smell, and touch evolved into something special as I added and replaced words.


Daddy worked ever so patiently to pose his little dolls against the blank canvas of the dining room wall on Christmas day. My sister and I were wearing our new Christmas dresses. (I bet no one knew the crunchy crinoline slip under my dress gently scratched at my legs.) Although the lingering aroma of the Christmas Eve ham infringed upon our excitement of presents under the Christmas tree, it was a reminder of the ham sandwich and Coke we left Santa on Christmas Eve. Of course, that sandwich was without cheese because Santa, whom we later learned was Daddy, did not like cheese. 

“Look up in the corner. Say cheese,” Daddy said. 

I had just finished my special Christmas candy--a hard raspberry flavored candy with a jelly center. I would suck on it for a few minutes, and then I would crush it with my teeth until the surprise jelly center was unmasked. 

Later, we would go to our grandparents’ homes for Christmas dinner. They lived only three houses from each other—what a special treat for us!

Sometimes you are the only one who knows the story behind a photograph. What memory are you keeping? This is the story in you. Share it.

Domonique

No comments:

Post a Comment