Saturday, January 11, 2014

Mama's Boys

My son doesn't profess to be a mama’s boy. He says he's an equal parent person. (But just between you and me, I think he is a mama’s boy.) When he was in kindergarten, I bought him some books from Scholastic Book Club. This was always a special event for him. The students would bring home the order form and select the books they wanted for themselves (while the parents would select the books they wanted for their children). Just when it seemed the books would never come, the orders would arrive, and the teacher would send them home. One of the books I bought Ricky was Robert Munsch’s Love You Forever. Ricky loved me to read it to him before he went to sleep (or did I secretly love to read it to him?). It’s about the circle of life—a mother’s love for her child from birth to adulthood; however, while the son grows strong, the mother grows feeble. And eventually, their roles reverse. Chanimalted posted a heartwarming reading of the book.

(Chanimalted, December 22, 206)
                                                          
One day Ricky wrote me a letter in response to this book:
         I will love you for ever and take good care of you.
         I will give you good food and I also will protect you from all harm too!

I was so touched by his little letter that I kept it tucked away for almost 20 years. A few years ago, I learned how to print his letter onto a fabric sheet. Then I turned it into a pillow that now makes its home on the sofa in my home office.

Although Ricky is now in his twenties, I still have that book. It's one of my favorite books. What's amazing is that Munsch’s Love You Forever has become popular with adults. Adults buy it for adults. Not only is it beautifully written, but it also makes growing old feel as natural as the delicate bud that blooms into a feisty flower that gracefully yields its petals.

What do you have tucked away? Why is it special? This is the story in you. Share it.

The Memory Keepers’ Daughter,

Domonique

Connect with me on Pinterest to view creative ideas about writing:

  • Why should you write?
  • How should you write?
  • The quirks of writing
  • When should you write?
  • What is writing?
  • What is a writer?
  • In what should you write?

References
Chanimalted. (December 22, 2006). Love you forever. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uyZaOQu9chQ

Munsch, R. (2015). The official website of Robert Munsch. Retrieved from http://robertmunsch.com/book/love-you-forever


No comments:

Post a Comment