Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Rays of Sunshine



Cherish, treasure, and embrace the sunshine in your life, which can come from unexpected sources. When my children were toddlers, I cherished their whimsical ways--what they said and what they did. I captured these little rays of sunshine on snippets of paper that I kept tucked away in a drawer. Several years later when we moved to a new house, I discovered these treasures in a drawer. When my children became young adults, I would write them a letter based on one of these little rays of sunshine from the snippets of paper. I called the letters Mama’s Memories. 

When my daughter went away to college, I sent her my first Mama’s Memory letter. It began like this:
When we arrived at the hospital, none of us knew what to expect. The doctor’s words were flaming arrows. They pierced my soul. My eyes became clouds that formed a gentle mist. Then suddenly, a sweeping wind of emotions forced torrents of tears from my eyes. But you were undisturbed. You picked up your frayed and tattered book bag from off the floor. Slowly you parted the zipper’s teeth, reached in, and pulled out a handful of crumpled papers.

The letters demonstrate how much I appreciate my children’s exceptionality. They are one-of-a-kind. Sometimes they remember the incidents, and sometimes they do not. Then we have a great laugh.

When my daughter moved out on her own, I compiled her Mama’s Memories letters in a binder and gave them to her. She really appreciated them and told me how she shared the idea with a friend who was having difficulty in a familial relationship. She encouraged her friend to express her feelings to the relative in writing—writing with a positive twist.

Whose ray of sunshine pierced a day in your life?
This is the story in you. Share it.

Domonique

No comments:

Post a Comment