Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Shirley Temple: America's Sweetheart



Shirley Temple, America’s Sweetheart, has been enjoyed by little girls for decades. How many little sisters bonded over Heidi, Bright Eyes, and Poor Little Rich Girl? My sister and I sure did. 

                              I am on the left, and my sister Andree is on the right

Sitting together on our couch in the den, we watched Shirley Temple movies on the weekends. My sister and I waged wars against our tears when someone hit Shirley Temple’s mother and she died. We smiled quarter moon smiles when Shirley Temple puffed up her chest, balled up her fists, and balanced her curly head atop her shoulders as she told her antagonist what she was not going to do. At times our little fingers spread like fans across our mouths in anticipation of what Shirley Temple would do next. And we performed these actions no matter how many times we watched each Shirley Temple movie.


For as long as I can remember, Shirley Temple curls adorned our heads to complement our matching Easter outfits each year.


When I think about my sister, I think of how we bonded over going to Girl Scout meetings, selling Girl Scout calendars and cookies, going to Sunday school, selling red kool-aid at our makeshift stand, and watching Shirley Temple movies.


Oh my goodness!--what a special blessing it is to have a sister.

What memories do you have of sibling bonding (or rivalry)? This is the story in you. Share it.


Domonique

#ShirleyTemple   #ShirleyTempleBlack   #America'ssweetheart   #siblingrivalry   #siblingbonding  #bonding   #GirlScoutcookies   #GirlScoutcalendars   #ShirleyTempl curls   #kool-aid   #ShirleyTemplemovies   #Heidi   #BrightEyes   #PoorLittleRichGirl   #Ohmygoodness   #SundaySchool   #weekends   #blackandwhitemovies   #televisionmovies

No comments:

Post a Comment