Friday, February 21, 2014

Improving Sleep, Part II



My expressive writing focused on an incident that happened to me in elementary school. Although the memory of this incident did not dominate my thoughts, after over 40 years, I thought about it from time-to-time. Through expressive writing, I emptied my mind of how I felt about the incident and even what I would have told the other person involved. I now feel relieved. These thoughts no longer need to occupy space in my mind.

When I thought of my elementary school days, I thought of my childhood bedtime rituals. As my three siblings and I reluctantly climbed into our beds, Mama would say, “Night night. Sleep tight. Don’t let the bedbugs bite.” (We never gave bed bugs a second thought. I believed they were some mystical bug that only existed in a fairy tale, but they are real and have invaded the United States.)

My siblings and I would say our prayers (a traditional prayer found in the New England Primer):
"Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take. . . “

Years later, I taught the prayer to my children, and after many months, I noticed that my son changed the words,
“Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If Mommy should die before I wake, I pray the Lord her soul to take. . .”
I guess my son thought about the words and realized he did not plan to die overnight. Well, I didn’t want to die overnight either, so I found another prayer.

           "I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety." Psalms 4:8

Before you lie down at night, do some expressive writing to rid yourself of needless thoughts, and find a prayer that promotes peace and tranquility.

What memories do you have of your childhood bedtime? This is the story in you. Share it.

Domonique


#insomnia   #improvesleep   #difficultysleeping   #sleepaids   #freewriting   #expressivewriting   #journalwriting   #peacefulsleep   #sweetdreams   #emotionallyhurt   #bitterness   #forgiveness
#unforgiveness   #bedbugs    #NewEnglandPrimer   #NowIlaymedowntosleep   #IwillbothlaymedowninpeaceandsleepforthouLordonlymakestmedwellinsafety   #Psalms4:8   #Psalms  #prayers   #yourstory

No comments:

Post a Comment