Saturday, March 15, 2014

Expect the Unexpected: Seeing With the Eyes of Your Soul Part III




The choices we make determine how our lives will unfold. Our choices even determine whom we will meet.

When I was a freshman at University of Michigan, I was interested in archeology and anthropology. I wanted to be an archeologist and go on digs around the world uncovering ancient secrets. Today I am an educator, and my focus has been communication, psychology, and reading and language arts. As I sit in the comfort of my family room watching television and typing this post, I think about how satisfying my life is, but I wonder what my life would have been like as an archeologist. A stable home life is important to me. Would I have had that if I had been an archeologist? Robert Frost’s “The Road Not Taken” is a poem about making choices. In the last stanza, Frost refers to the time when one reflects on a choice made.

“I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
 I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”
(as cited in Academy of American Poets, 1997-2014)

Reflect on the road you have taken. 



Then make a list of all the things for which you are thankful. You can turn your list into a poem--a list poem. In the first line, establish the purpose of your list. For example--In my life I have a treasure chest of blessings. Then list the blessings.


To explore poetry further host a poetry party.
  • Check out a wide variety of poetry books (Haiku, sonnets, ballads, couplets, concrete, and the like) from your local library. Make sure you have enough for each participant to use at least one book. (You can also request your guests bring a poetry book of their own.)
  • With poetry books in hand, gather your guests together in a circle. Then, for 2-3 minutes, allow participants to skim through their books to find an interesting poem.
  • Allow the guests to share the poem and tell why they found it interesting.
  • Instruct the guests to pass their books to their right. Each guest should skim through their new poetry book, find an interesting poem, and share it. Repeat the process until the guests receive the book with which they began.
  • Write a group poem--one guest begins by writing the first line of the poem and one-by-one each guest adds a line.
  • Encourage each guest to write a poem modeled on one kind of poetry they find interesting.
  • Allow each guest to share his or her poems in the "author’s chair"—a designated chair decorated to your liking.


What road did you take?  How has this affected your life? This is the story in you. Share it.


Domonique

#choices   #regrets   #RobertFrost  #poems   #poetry   #theroadnottaken   #AcademyofAmericanPoets   #archeology   #anthropology   #UniversityofMichigan   #yourstory   #memory   #memorykeepers   #listpoem    #poetryparty   #publiclibrary   #author'schair


References
Academic of American Poets. (1997-2014). Poets.org. Retrieved from http://www.poets.org/index.php

http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/192
http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15717

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spXtePd4Whk

http://www.nypl.org/blog/2012/04/18/poetry-writing-adult-new-readers-list-poem 

No comments:

Post a Comment