Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Love is a Verb: More than a Moment of Silence for the Boston Marathon Victims and Survivors



As the moment of silence for last year’s victims of the Boston Marathon has come and gone, we are still haunted by the horror of this tragedy one year ago. Although I was hundreds of miles away, the television coverage of the event opened a window’s view of the tragedy, and I was able to peek into that window as the stories unfolded over many days. I remember anxiously awaiting the culmination of the capture of the suspects. Later, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his brother Tamerlan were identified as the terrorists who had planted the bombs.


Their act of terrorism--that premeditated, violent attack on innocent people--was rooted in a philosophy of hate. Now it has left the injured victims and grieving loved ones picking up the pieces as they try to move forward with their lives.


Love is a verb--an action word. Beyond the moment of silence, we must encourage the injured victims and loved ones to take action.


In the Sunday edition of the Detroit Free Press, women were invited to respond to why they love their bodies. The responses were interesting: from a woman expressing love for her scars to a woman expressing love for her smile (Kovanis, 2014).


So, to the injured survivors of the Boston Marathon, I encourage you to share your stories of struggle and courage.
As Jennifer McQuillan professed, “My face is my favorite body part because each and every line, crevice, scar, freckle, and mark speaks volumes of the story of my life” (Kovanis, 2014, para. 1).
Share the volumes of your stories to leave your mark on this earth and to inspire others.


To the wounded at heart, I encourage you to share the arc of the smile you endeavor to sculpt on your face.
As Marian Lloyd-Caldwell asserted, “My body has gone through many changes but my lips always have a Mona Lisa smile that makes people around me smile and feel welcome into my sunshine. I have survived cancer twice but my face and smile are still there” (Kovanis, 2014, para. 1).
Let people know you are a survivor but that your smile lives on.


To the dismayed, I encourage you to embrace the stretch marks that have stretched you beyond what you thought you could handle.  
Omesha Pettway-Jones proclaimed, “The part of my body that I love would have to be my stretch marks on my stomach . . . largely due to the fact that I was told several years before having my son that I was unable to have children due to a surgery that went wrong. My stretch marks remind me of the beautiful bouncy baby boy I carried to full term and delivered without complications. . . . My stretch marks testify of the goodness of God. … When the doctors said no, my God did it just for me . . . . ” (Kovanis, 2014, para. 1).
Look for the pearl that will come from the irritation of the grain of sand.

Love is a verb—an action word. Take action by sharing your stories, your smiles, and your pearls.


How has tragedy affected you? This is the story in you. Share it.


Domonique
  
Reference
Kovanis, G. (2014). Just the way we are: Why we love our bodies. Detroit Free Press. Retrieved from http://www.freep.com/interactive/article/20140413/FEATURES01/140408009/body-image-why-we-love-our-bodies

Slack, M. (2014). A moment of silence to mark the one-year anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombing. The White House Blog. Retrieved from http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/04/15/moment-silence-mark-one-year-anniversary-boston-marathon-bombing

#BostonMarathonBombing   #OneYearAnniversaryOfTheBostonMarathonBombing   #YourStory   #DetroitFreePress   #Love   #LoveIsAVerb   # DzhokharTsarnaev   #TamerlanTsarnaev   #BostonMarathonBombingSurvivors   #BostonMarathonBombingVictims   #MonaLisa   #AMomentOfSilence   #StretchMarks   #BrokenHearted   #Nicholas   #God   #GraceOfGod   #Pearl   #GoodnessOfGod   #BostonMarathon  

No comments:

Post a Comment