Sunday, May 4, 2014

Ban on Affirmative Action Upheld but Don’t Abandon, Part II



In my first blog post about affirmative action, I wrote out of the hope that the ban on affirmative action will not be the end to a great education for thousands of minority students. I was recently inspired by Kwasi Enin, a senior from William Floyd High School who applied to and was accepted by 8 Ivy League colleges. Kwasi is known for his SAT score of 2250 out of 2400.

Kwasi’s parents, who emigrated from Ghana, have been a positive force in his life. With Kwasi's success thus far, we should try to learn some valuable lessons from the Enin family:

  • Kwasi’s parents have high expectations for their children, Kwasi and his younger sister. They expect them to do well in school and to behave appropriately.
  • Kwasi’s parents encouraged him to pursue his passions.
  • These passions involved a host of extracurricular activities in the following: orchestra, plays, student government, a cappella, and track.
  • Kwasi volunteered at a local hospital. The medical field is one of his passions.                 (Steffen & Sanchez, 2014).

Moreover, Kwasi is grateful: “I’ll miss my family, my theater family, friends I’ve made in all my classes, teachers I’ve gotten close to, my whole William Floyd family. . . I’m going to fondly miss those memories of growing up here, but I hope I can give back by doing everybody proud, by going off and doing something important” (as cited in Meinhold, 2014, para. 8).

How have you pursued your passions? This is the story in you. Share it.

Domonique

Reference
Meinhold, C. (2014). Mr. Ivy League, Kwasi Enin, makes his choice. Long Island Advance. Retrieved from http://www.longislandadvance.net/articles/2014/05/01/Mr-Ivy-League-Kwasi-Enin-makes-his-choice

Steffen, S. & Sanchez, R. (2014). NY student accepted to all 8 Ivy League colleges picks Yale. CNN. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/30/us/new-york-student-selects-yale/

No comments:

Post a Comment