Friday, June 20, 2014

Giving Keeps on Giving



Over the weekend, I was looking for an ingredient in my kitchen cabinet when I discovered I had a few canned goods that had expired. Ok. I’ll be truthful. I found several cans of expired soups,
veggies, and beans. I feel bad that I had to throw them away. Someone could have eaten them if I had been more thoughtful when I purchased them. could have given some of my canned goods to a food pantry that meets the needs of the poor. I thought about an old Sunday School lesson I learned many years ago, which was based on Leviticus 23:22: “And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not make clean riddance of the corners of thy field when thou reapest, neither shalt thou gather any gleaning of thy harvest: thou shalt leave them unto the poor, and to the stranger. . .” The Israelites were charged with remembering the poor on a regular basis.

I have now renewed my commitment to remember those who are less fortunate. What many people don’t realize is that people who are in need are not always those who are jobless. The working poor are people who work at least a part-time job but do not earn enough to provide necessities for themselves and/or their families. Many times they go without food, medical attention, and basic utilities.

Giving can manifest in many different ways: giving food, clothing, and time. You can even become passionate about giving by considering your likes?
  • If you enjoy television dramas that revolve around doctors, nurses, and patients, volunteer at the American Red Cross.
  • If you love children and teens, volunteer at your local Big Brothers Big Sisters.
  • If you love gardening, volunteer in a community garden.  (Heid, 2012)
Not only does giving to others benefit the receiver in ways we may never know, but it also benefits the giver. According to Brown (2003), “. . . individuals who reported providing tangible forms of help to friends, relatives, and neighbors reduced their risk of dying by about one half, compared with individuals who reported providing no help to others” (p. 52).


How has giving to others changed your life? This is the story in you. Share it.


Domonique


References

Brown, S. (2003). An altruistic reanalysis of the social support hypothesis: The health benefits of giving. New Directions for Philanthropic Fundraising, No 42, Winter. John Wiley & Sons Inc.


Heid, M. (2012). Improve your life in one day. Prevention. Retrieved from http://www.prevention.com/mind-body/emotional-health/how-volunteering-can-give-your-life-more-meaning

No comments:

Post a Comment