Sunday, July 20, 2014

Is Detroit Really Bankrupt?



If being bankrupt means lacking the resources to satisfy what is needed, then Detroit is not bankrupt. 

I recently learned of the secret bank account Detroiters have been keeping. It's an account filled with hope. This hope was showcased on social media this past week when Detroiters, former Detroiters, and people who work or have worked in Detroit began sharing their memories of a once friendly, thriving, and safe Detroit. The posts began with "I'm so Detroit" and were completed with expressions of fond memories of Detroit. They were so inspiring I decided to participate.

I thought of the friendly Detroit:
I’m so Detroit, I remember when you could go next door to the left, next door to the right, or across the street to borrow a cup of sugar from a friendly neighbor who was like your “other” mother.

I thought of the thriving Detroit:
I’m so Detroit, I remember when my sister and I took the bus to go shopping downtown at J.L. Hudson’s.

I thought of the safe Detroit:
I’m so Detroit, I remember catching the bus year round at 6:30 a.m.—which means it was dark in late fall and winter—to go to high school, but I never worried that anything would or could happen to me.

I’m so Detroit, I remember when my siblings and I went to school, we never locked our door. We went to school, came home, opened the door, walked into the house, and EVERYTHING was still there!!!!!!

These memories, along with the many other great memories people shared about Detroit, give us
hope--the resource needed to build a brighter future. Hope is our down payment on our future. As Detroiters, former Detroiters, and people who work or have worked in Detroit consider their once friendly, thriving, and safe Detroit, many will be inspired to set high expectations for the future Detroit. Therefore, Detroit is not bankrupt; it has enough in the bank to help build a brighter future.

How do your hometown memories inspire you? This is the story in you. Share it.


Domonique

No comments:

Post a Comment