Saturday, September 20, 2014

7-Day Positive Status Challenge



“What you looking at me for. I didn’t come to stay.”
I decided to participate in the 7-Day Positive Challenge when a dear friend of mine invited me via Facebook. For the most part, I consider myself a positive thinker. On Day 1 of the Positive Challenge, I didn’t know what to post on my Facebook page. So, I thought about my day, hoping I could use something  that had crossed my path that day. I had just read a magazine that included a tribute to Maya Angelou. The tribute contained a poignant quote from Angelou’s I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings: “What you looking at me for. I didn’t come to stay.” It’s not an Angelou quote but a line from a children’s poem she encountered as a young child in Arkansas. The line is perfect for inspiring positive thoughts. To me, it means that no matter what embarrassing, disgusting, regretful, or depressing state you find yourself in, you don’t have to accept the condescending looks of others. Why? Because you are just passing through. You are not going to camp out in a dark valley. Eventually, you will climb to the top of the mountain.

Night falls. The moon blooms. The sun rises

I recently heard an inspirational message about positive thinking. Metaphorically speaking, darkness precedes sunrise. Even if you are in what you consider total darkness—when the moon seems to have vanished and the sun has yet to emerge—hold on to expectation of the sun’s emergence. Think beyond your present condition.

Taming the Mind
Positive thinking is a choice, but you have to train yourself well. It’s a matter of thinking about your thinking. Evaluate and analyze every thought. If you think about something bad happening--What if this headache means I have a brain tumor—replace it with a positive thought.

Feed the Mind
Quotes are food for thought. What goes in must come out. The more positive ideas you introduce to yourself, the more likely you will generate positive thoughts on your own. Thousands of books on quotes are available, or you can just Google "quotes on positive thinking" to find suitable ones.

“I am the greatest. I said that even before I knew I was.”  ~ Muhammad Ali (as cited in Brown, 2013)

“You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It won’t happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, ‘I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.”  ~ Joel Osteen (as cited in Brown, 2013)

“You cannot tailor-make the situations in life but you can tailor-make the attitudes to fit those situations.”  ~ Zig Ziglar (as cited in Move Me “Quotes”)

“The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude.”  ~ Oprah Winfrey (as cited in Move Me “Quotes”)

Charge up the Mind
According to McCraty, Barrios-Choplin, Atkinson, and Tomasino (1998), listening to “designer music” can “. . . enhance emotional well-being and mental clarity” (p.83). Designer music is music written to achieve a specific purpose, such as boosting confidence. Breines (2012) suggests creating a self-esteem playlist:

  • “We are the Champions”
  • “The Greatest Love of All”
  • “Wind beneath My Wings”
  • “U Can’t Touch This”


Make sure you have a variety of strategies on hand to engage in positive thinking when negative thoughts try to invade your mind.
~

How do you maintain positive thoughts? This is the story in you. Share it.


Domonique 

Connect with me on Pinterest to view creative ideas about writing:

  • Why should you write?
  • How should you write?
  • The quirks of writing
  • When should you write?
  • What is writing?
  • What is a writer?
  • In what should you write?


References

Breines, J. (2012). The self-esteem Playlist. Retrieved from http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-love-and-war/201207/the-self-esteem-playlist


Brown, J. (2013). 50 Positive thinking quotes for more inner strength & growth. Retrieved from http://addicted2success.com/quotes/50-positive-thinking-quotes-for-more-inner-strength-growth/


McCraty, R., Barrios-Choplin, B., Atkinson, M., & Tomasino, D. (1998). The effects of music on mood, tension, and mental clarity. Alternative Therapies. 4(1). Pp. 75-84. Retrieved from http://www.musicontap.co.uk/downloads/Music_Mood_Effects.pdf


Move Me “Quotes”. (2014). Top 15 power of positive thinking quotes. Retrieved from http://www.movemequotes.com/top-15-power-of-positive-thinking-quotes/

No comments:

Post a Comment