Thursday, October 30, 2014

Throwback Thursday: It's Good for You, 10/30/2014


With thousands of people participating in the social media trend #ThrowbackThursday (#TBT), over 100 million photos have been posted. It's the practice of sharing old photographs, lyrics, and links to songs along with the memories behind them. It has taken Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the like by storm.

Have you joined in the fun yet?
You should join in the fun because nostalgia has benefits. Pondering over fond memories makes you feel better. Take a soothing bath in those times when you felt happy, protected, and loved. According to Hepper, Ritchie, Sedkikdes, and Wildschut (2012), the strength you gain from these positive memories can  have the following effect:
  • improve your self-concept
  • boost your mood
  • feel accepted
  • help you make connections between the then and the now
You can conjure up fond memories by looking at old photos, listening to old songs, smelling an aroma, touching an object, and/or tasting a food item or drink. 

Participating in #TBT is easy:
Participating in #TBT is easier than you think. 
  • Select a picture that was taken at least five years ago (one associated with fond memories).
  • Post it on your favorite social media site.
  • Write a brief description of the nostalgic memory.
Note that social media is not the only way to participate in #TBT. Start a #TBT scrapbook. Each Thursday, select an old photo that generates fond memories. Insert the photo into a scrapbook (make it or buy it). Then write about the fond memories centered around the photo. Before you know it, you'll have completed the scrapbook.

My #TBT

I was at the park the other day, and I saw this tree whose roots reminded me of hands--hands pushing up from the innermost parts of the earth. 


I thought about how different the tree’s roots must have looked when it was first planted—straggly tendrils. I can even picture how it was planted--gently laid to rest in a hollowed out bed and covered in a blanket of soil.

Then I thought about my own hands and the transitions they have made over the years. These are my 9-month old hands.


These chubby little hands flailed and grasped at objects and held on to Mama and Daddy’s hands.

These are my 6-year old hands.
I thought about all the pencils and paper I used to have. These little hands were always writing, drawing, coloring, gluing, and sewing. I loved to make things with my hands: doll clothes, pillows, and even arm covers for my grandmother’s divan.

These are my 25-year old hands. 

They became the hands of a wife and mother who cooked meals, changed diapers, sewed on buttons, and created home decorating projects. I have always owned a sewing machine, and over the years, I have enjoyed making things for people.

Today, my hands have also become a symbol of prayer, which is so much more than the childhood grace my siblings and I said before dinner: 

God is great
God is good
Let us thank Him for our food.
Amen

And so much more than the bedtime prayer we said before bed:

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Bless Mama, Daddy, and my brothers and sister and . . .

I am thankful I now believe in a higher power. If I did not believe in a higher power, I would not have the hope and vision I have today. The natural state of being is quite limiting. I look forward to supernatural interventions. But having a strong belief in a higher power did not come until I was a grown woman. I had a spiritual awakening. I am told that when you have a spiritual awakening you eventually learn your spiritual calling. Mine is prayer, and my hands are the symbol of pushing up from the possible in hopes of reaching for the impossible.


What fond memories do you have when you think of your journey in life? This is the story in you. Share it. 

Connect with me on
Pinterest to view creative ideas about writing:
  • Why should you write?
  • How should you write?
  • The quirks of writing
  • When should you write?
  • What is writing?
  • What is a writer?
  • In what should you write?
Domonique

Reference

Hepper, Ritchie, Sedkikdes, and Wildschut. (2012). Nostalgia. Retrieved fromhttp://www.southampton.ac.uk/nostalgia/what_is_nostalgia/

No comments:

Post a Comment