Thursday, October 9, 2014

Throwback Thursday: It's Good for You, 10/9/2014

With thousands of people participating in the social media trend #ThrowbackThursday (#TBT), over 100 million photos have been posted. It's the practice of sharing old photographs, lyrics, and links to songs along with the memories behind them. It has taken Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the like by storm.

Have you joined in the fun yet?
You should join in the fun because nostalgia has benefits. Pondering over fond memories makes you feel better. Take a soothing bath in those times when you felt happy, protected, and loved. According to Hepper, Ritchie, Sedkikdes, and Wildschut (2012), the strength you gain from these positive memories can  have the following effect:
  • improve your self-concept
  • boost your mood
  • feel accepted
  • help you make connections between the then and the now
You can conjure up fond memories by looking at old photos, listening to old songs, smelling an aroma, touching an object, and/or tasting a food item or drink. 

Participating in #TBT is easy:
Participating in #TBT is easier than you think. 
  • Select a picture that was taken at least five years ago (one associated with fond memories).
  • Post it on your favorite social media site.
  • Write a brief description of the nostalgic memory.
Note that social media is not the only way to participate in #TBT. Start a #TBT scrapbook. Each Thursday, select an old photo that generates fond memories. Insert the photo into a scrapbook (make it or buy it). Then write about the fond memories centered around the photo. Before you know it, you'll have completed the scrapbook.

My #TBT
This picture was more than likely taken of me by my father at Belle Isle Park in the late 1950s. Belle Isle was the premiere park back in the day.

My father's side of the family gathered at a park almost every Sunday in the summertime: Belle Isle, Rouge, Lower Huron, Kensington, Metro Beach, and many others.

It was always a fun time. My siblings and I along with our many cousins would swing, swim, hike, play games, and just talk. We were cousins, and we were friends. And we're still friends. It reminds me of a Facebook message someone shared with me. I found it to be true, so I reposted it on my Facebook page without hesitation:
"Cousins are the first friends we have as children.
No one understands your crazy family like your cousins do.
Share this if you have the best cousins in the world."
(It appears to be adapted from www.rottenecards.com)
Looking at the old photo above reminds me of my love for nature. Today, the park--almost any park--is one of my favorite places. It makes me feel peaceful and calm. I enjoy looking at the trees, birds, deer, ducks, and water. I love hearing their background whispers mingled with the laughter of happy children. 

The park is a place where I can be still and appreciate God's creations.


What fond memories do you have of your childhood? This is the story in you. Share it. 

Connect with me on Pinterest to view creative ideas about writing:
  • Why should you write?
  • How should you write?
  • The quirks of writing
  • When should you write?
  • What is writing?
  • What is a writer?
  • In what should you write?
Domonique

Reference

Hepper, Ritchie, Sedkikdes, and Wildschut. (2012). Nostalgia. Retrieved fromhttp://www.southampton.ac.uk/nostalgia/what_is_nostalgia/

No comments:

Post a Comment