Thursday, November 13, 2014

Throwback Thursday: It's Good for You, 11/13/14



With thousands of people participating in the social media trend #ThrowbackThursday (#TBT), over 100 million photos have been posted. It's the practice of sharing old photographs, lyrics, and links to songs along with the memories behind them. It has taken Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the like by storm.

Have you joined in the fun yet?
You should join in the fun because nostalgia has benefits. Pondering over fond memories makes you feel better. Take a soothing bath in those times when you felt happy, protected, and loved. According to Hepper, Ritchie, Sedkikdes, and Wildschut (2012), the strength you gain from these positive memories can  have the following effect:
  • improve your self-concept
  • boost your mood
  • feel accepted
  • help you make connections between the then and the now
You can conjure up fond memories by looking at old photos, listening to old songs, smelling an aroma, touching an object, and/or tasting a food item or drink. 

Participating in #TBT is easy:
Participating in #TBT is easier than you think. 
  • Select a picture that was taken at least five years ago (one associated with fond memories).
  • Post it on your favorite social media site.
  • Write a brief description of the nostalgic memory.
Note that social media is not the only way to participate in #TBT. Start a #TBT scrapbook. Each Thursday, select an old photo that generates fond memories. Insert the photo into a scrapbook (make it or buy it). Then write about the fond memories centered around the photo. Before you know it, you'll have completed the scrapbook.

My #TBT

This is my high school graduation picture, which was taken many decades ago. When I look at this picture, three things come to mind: study hall, 7 flights of stairs, and archeology.


Study Hall
The study hall room at my high school was intimidating to me: row after row after row of honey colored wooden desks filled with decades of shallow carvings and elusive graffiti. The room, with its towering ceilings, seemed so big and so cold. I wonder if it is really as large as I thought it was back then. Because of my class schedules, some semesters I spent two boring class periods in that room.

7 Flights of Stairs
My high school physical education consisted of modern dance classes. The class was on the 7th floor. The locker room was on the first floor. And dance students were not allowed to take the elevator to the 7th floor. We had to change into our leotards and tights on the first floor and walk up 7 flights of stairs to the dance room. Then, when class was over, we had to walk back down 7 flights of stairs. By senior year, it was a piece of cake.

Archeology
During high school, I became interested in archeology. I wanted to be an archeologist and go on digs to discover the secrets of human remains. My interest in antiquity has been on a long, meandering journey. By the time I entered college, I was going to become an anthropologist but became disappointed when I learned that anthropology was mainly based on theory. I  majored in communication instead. But over the years, I kept my love for old things, and I channeled my interest in going on digs to discover the secrets of human remains to going antiquing. I love looking at antiques. I think about all the secrets that reside with them. Moreover, I love teaching memoir writing classes. It's a special way for people to go on their own digs to discover secret causes and their categorical effects on their lives--the things that made them do what they did.

What fond memories do you have of your teenage years? This is the story in you. Share it. 

Connect with me on
Pinterest to view creative ideas about writing:
  • Why should you write?
  • How should you write?
  • The quirks of writing
  • When should you write?
  • What is writing?
  • What is a writer?
  • In what should you write?
Domonique
 


Reference
Hepper, Ritchie, Sedkikdes, and Wildschut. (2012). Nostalgia. Retrieved fromhttp://www.southampton.ac.uk/nostalgia/what_is_nostalgia/

No comments:

Post a Comment