Friday, April 24, 2015

The Secret of Prayer, Part II

The National Day of Prayer is on May 7th. But what is prayer? I examined this question in The Secret of Prayer, Part I. Prayer is
  • communication with a higher power
  • acknowledging that neither The Theory of Evolution nor The Big Bang Theory provides an adequate explanation for the many wonders of our world
  • a catalyst of change in you, others, and circumstances

The first secret of prayer is that prayer is liberating. It is freedom from the burden of perpetual human reasoning.

Many people wonder about my next question: For whom should we pray? They don't want to be selfish, and they don't want their prayers to be insufficient.


For whom should we pray? Pray for those in positions of authority.

Those in authority include world leaders, our president, governors, mayors, military leaders, law makers, representatives, voters, bosses, educators, doctors, lawyers, judges, juries . . .
The list is endless. Whoever has some level of control or authority over you or over your loved ones should be included in this list. It is not about controlling them through prayer because often we do not know what is best for everyone involved. To liberate yourself from human reasoning, one of the best ways to approach this is to pray that those in authority make wise decisions so “we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty” 1 Timothy 2:2.

“Prayer is not asking. Prayer is putting oneself in the hands of God, at His disposition, and listening to His voice in the depth of our hearts.”  ~ Mother Teresa


For whom should we pray? Pray for your loved ones.

I believe many people have experienced the hope and peace of heart-felt prayers for their loved ones, especially for their children. As our children grow up, we cannot be with them all the time. They will make their own decisions, and they will make their own mistakes. But as their mother or their father, you do not want them to make mistakes that may cost them their lives or have devastating consequences for themselves or for others. Children need prayer for wisdom and for protection.

If you have a loved one in the military, pray that they use wisdom, and pray for their protection. Whether they are a peace keeper or a soldier, they need supernatural help.

“I have always remembered my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. The have clung to me all my life.”  ~ Abraham Lincoln

For whom should we pray? Pray for ourselves.

When I was looking at a world news television show today, I was inspired by the coverage of Scott Mayhew who was fixing his vehicle in his garage when the vehicle became dismantled from the jack that was propping it up. The vehicle fell on Scott, and as he lay crushed beneath the belly of the vehicle, he prayed for himself. Scott’s wife, Nicole, was at work at the time when she felt like she should go home to check on her husband. When she arrived and found Scott under the vehicle, she was able to get help for him.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOm0EaRlLJo

Scott and Nicole’s experiences show us that because prayer supersedes the natural realm, those who are participants in prayer should be open to becoming a participant in facilitating the answer to the prayers of others.

I am always inspired by Dodie Osteen’s healing journey. When she faced liver cancer that had metastasized, she not only prayed for herself but she also needed the prayers of others. Dodie won her battle with cancer, and decades later, she is still healed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52IaLDgiz0I

And on a lighter note, sometimes we just need to pray for strength and peace to endure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IRB0sxw-YU


T
he secret of prayer

So, here’s the second secret of prayer: Prayer is empowering. It empowers others and you because it opens the door to the supernatural interventions that we need. But prayer requires power. That power is your belief that the thing for which you pray will happen.

My clock cannot deliver the time unless it has batteries.



But when my clock is powered by batteries, it delivers the time.


Prayer should be powered by your belief that it will be answered.


Think about It

When analyzing any subject, I always use the critical thinking technique of questioning: Who? What? Where? When? Why? How? But I've learned to add a 7th element—What if? When my husband and I went on a cruise a while ago, we had to fly to Florida. In the process, my luggage was lost. An airline representative told me they would try to deliver the luggage to the cruise ship by the time we boarded it, but when the ship’s engines began to grind and groan as it sluggishly departed from the dock, I did not have my luggage. The luggage did, however, turn up the next morning outside our cabin door. I learned a valuable lesson that transformed the way I travel. I now ask myself What if? What if I am told the overhead compartments are too full for my carry-on bag, and it will need to be checked. What if my luggage does not arrive when I arrive? Consequently, I created a travel uniform: cargo pants and a safari vest. 

Both garments are literally veneered in pockets. When I travel, these pockets accommodate Ziploc bags of not only my essentials but also my non-essentials for the upcoming 24 hours.

With that said, I ask: What if there is a higher being? What if the higher being visits from time-to-time? What if the higher being manifests from time-to-time? What if the higher being demonstrates the supernatural from time-to-time? What if it’s simply alright to pray? And
what if it is essential that we pray for those in authority, our loved ones, and ourselves?

For whom do you pray? This is the story in you. Share it.


Domonique 

Connect with me on Pinterest to view creative ideas about writing:


  • Why should you write?
  • How should you write?
  • The quirks of writing
  • When should you write?
  • What is writing?
  • What is a writer?
  • In what should you write?

References

Above Average (April, 8, 2015). Everyone's upstairs neighbor. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IRB0sxw-YU

Alan, K. (September 25, 2014). Healed of cancer! The testimony of Dodie Osteen (1987). Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52IaLDgiz0I

Simon. E. (April 24, 2015). He kept praying for me to come home: Wife's intuition saves husband. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOm0EaRlLJo

No comments:

Post a Comment