Thursday, September 24, 2015

Throwback Thursday: It's Good for You

With thousands of people participating in the social media trend #ThrowbackThursday (#TBT), over 100 million photos have been posted. It's the practice of sharing old photographs, lyrics, and links to songs along with the memories behind them. It has taken Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the like by storm.

Have you joined in the fun yet?
You should join in the fun because nostalgia has benefits. Pondering over fond memories makes you feel better. Take a soothing bath in those times when you felt happy, protected, and loved. According to Hepper, Ritchie, Sedkikdes, and Wildschut (2012), the strength you gain from these positive memories can  have the following effects:
  • improve your self-concept
  • boost your mood
  • feel accepted
  • help you make connections between the then and the now
You can conjure up fond memories by looking at old photos, listening to old songs, smelling an aroma, touching an object, and/or tasting a food item or drink. 

Participating in #TBT is easy:
Participating in #TBT is easier than you think. 
  • Select a picture that was taken at least five years ago (one associated with fond memories).
  • Post it on your favorite social media site.
  • Write a brief description of the nostalgic memory.
Note that social media is not the only way to participate in #TBT. Start a #TBT scrapbook. Each Thursday, select an old photo that generates fond memories. Insert the photo into a scrapbook (make it or buy it). Then write about the fond memories centered around the photo. Before you know it, you'll have completed the scrapbook.

My #TBT
This is a picture of a poem from a collection of poems I wrote when I was about 11 years old. 
This is the only school assignment I kept from my childhood and teenage years. It's special because I still remember the day my mother helped me write the poems. My elementary school teacher gave my class an assignment to write several poems, but I could only think of a few. I remember sitting on the couch with my mother and telling her about my dilemma. 


She suggested I write about the family and things I liked. She gave me some ideas about each family member, and I did the rest. I was good at finding rhyming words.

My siblings and I were privileged to have lots of books when we were growing up. One of those books was a nursery rhyme book, and we memorized most of the rhymes. It wasn't until decades later that I discovered many children do not grow up with books and paper and pencils and crayons. It's called the absence of print. It can delay the development of reading and writing skills. We were fortunate.

Learning rhymes is essential to learning how to read. The sounds and patterns are helpful in learning sight words and phonics.

Recently I went to a baby shower. One of the games we played focused on nursery rhymes: Little Jack Horner, Little Miss Muffet, and the like. Very few of the younger adults were able to fill in the correct words. They were unfamiliar with the old rhymes. I had the most correct answers, so I won the game. While I was writing in the answers, I remembered again how blessed I was as a child. My siblings and I grew up in a home filled with love, hope, respect, patience, and books. We thought we were rich! We learned later in life that our definition of rich was not equivalent to the definition of rich most people use--having the abundance of material things. Money could not buy what we had. It was priceless!

What fond memories do you have of your childhood? This is the story in you. Share it. 

Connect with me on Pinterest to view creative ideas about writing:
  • Why should you write?
  • How should you write?
  • The quirks of writing
  • When should you write?
  • What is writing?
  • What is a writer?
  • In what should you write?

Domonique

Reference

Hepper, Ritchie, Sedkikdes, and Wildschut. (2012). Nostalgia. Retrieved fromhttp://www.southampton.ac.uk/nostalgia/what_is_nostalgia/

No comments:

Post a Comment