Monday, October 19, 2015

Breast Cancer Awareness: Join the Fight

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, but breast cancer is a topic that should always be on our minds. A few years ago, I received an email that contained the link to the following video:

(sowhttt, September 10, 2008)

This video was one of the catalysts that led to drastic changes in my life, particularly my diet. I realized I had placed too much trust in the big businesses and corporations that produce our food—not for our good but for their profit. The use of antibiotics, hormones, grain feed, and inhumane confinement all contribute to the substances in beef and dairy that can cause illnesses in humans.

The Mediterranean diet has be hailed as an anti-inflammatory diet that may reduce breast cancer. Foods like wild caught fish, nuts (if you're not allergic), beans, legumes, olive oil, vegetables, and fruit usually do not provoke an inflammatory response in the body. I recommend taking additional steps:
  • Read labels, and make choices that support a healthy long life.
  • Eat less beef and dairy. When you do eat beef and dairy, make sure it is from grass fed beef. Grass fed beef is getting easier to find now. We buy ours from Whole Foods and Fresh Thyme. Fresh Thyme carries plain yogurt from Maple Hill Creamery. The yogurt comes from grass fed cows. For those who like flavored yogurt, it only takes a few minutes to add some chopped/sliced organic berries and raw honey to sweeten it. 
Prepared foods may be convenient, but if you analyze the ingredients, they may cost you more than you are willing to pay: your health. It takes less time than you think to prepare your own products. Two small appliances make the preparation time very fast: a food processor and a blender.

One of my quick and healthy choices is making my own almond milk. Have you seen the ingredient lists on most cartons of prepared almond milk? They are unhealthy. So, I place a handful of raw almonds and 1 ½ cups of water in my food processor. If I drink it, I strain it in a small mesh strainer. If I use it to make oatmeal raisin cookies, I don’t strain it. There’s no need because I put nuts in the cookies anyway. It takes less than 2 minutes. (Some people soak their almonds in water overnight. When I plan ahead, I do this. But if I don't plan ahead, I don't let this stop me from making my own almond milk.)

Some of my loved ones have been diagnosed with breast cancer. Over the years, three have died. I have concluded that cancer is a cruel disease that deserves our attention. We need to fight against it. 

How have you engaged in the fight against breast cancer? This is the story in you. Share it. 

Domonique

Connect with me on Pinterest to view creative ideas about writing:
  • Why should you write?
  • How should you write?
  • The quirks of writing
  • When should you write?
  • What is writing?
  • What is a writer?
  • In what should you write?

Reference
sowhttt. (September 10, 2008). Monsanto & cancer milk: Fox News kills story & fires reporters. 

Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL1pKlnhvg0

No comments:

Post a Comment