Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year’s Resolution: Become More Organized

Half and half pomegranate
 juice and club soda and ¼
cup fresh pomegranate seeds
Wew! I’m sitting here drinking my favorite drink and watching the Dexter marathon after having put away all my holiday decorations. If your New Year’s resolution is to become more organized, it starts the day you put away your holiday decorations.

Begin with protective storage for your decorations. I have a combination of plastic storage bins and 6-drawer plastic rolling carts. Because I store my decorations in the basement, I want them to be protected from any possible water.

Store items in their original packaging. I have a few ceramic Christmas dogs that are about a foot tall. They came in boxes with Styrofoam. I have stored them in their original packaging for several years now, and so far, no breakage. If you don’t have the original packaging, use bubble wrap to protect breakable items. If you have a casualty, but want to wait until next year to repair it, simply do what I did a little while ago: tape the broken piece to the item, and fix it next year.

Take out any batteries, but store the batteries in a zip lock bag along with the item. I have a few animated figures that require batteries. I have been storing the same batteries with them for at least 10 years now, and they still work when I put them back in.

Store extension cords along with the items that need them. This will keep you from hunting them down next holiday season.

Tape an index card on the top or on the side of your storage bins and carts. Then, list the items that are in the storage container. This will also help you re-pack items next year. You won't have to find yourself in a predicament when nothing seems to fit like it did before you unpacked everything. It helps to store like things together. For example, store pillows, stockings, and soft angels together.

The rolling carts are good for storing ornaments and wrapping accessories. Reserve specific drawers for items such as the following:
  • Ornaments
  • Hooks
  • Cards
  • Gift bags
  • Small gift boxes
  • Tissue paper
  • Gift tags
  • Ribbons and bows

Starting the New Year off by storing holiday decorations properly will inspire you to become more organized throughout the year.

How do you need to improve your organization? This is the story in you. Share it.



Domonique 

Connect with me on Pinterest to view creative ideas about writing:

  • Why should you write?
  • How should you write?
  • The quirks of writing
  • When should you write?
  • What is writing?
  • What is a writer?
  • In what should you write?

No comments:

Post a Comment